The Neurosurgeons of New Jersey network of doctors are very proud of their roots. Many of our esteemed surgeons have come from New York-Presbyterian Columbia University Medical Center. Being that Columbia University Medical Center was once called home to these doctors, here is the history of the amazing institution.
—— 1908 ——
In 1908, two New York City neurologists, Joseph Collins and Joseph Fraenkel, began to discuss forming a hospital devoted solely to the care of those afflicted with neurological diseases. Virtually all neurological illnesses were thought of as incurable, and to many physicians, not even considered respectable. There were no hospitals devoted exclusively to the care of patients with neurological diseases.
To provide a more surgical point of view for these conditions, Pearce Bailey, another prominent New York neurologist, and Charles Elsberg joined the formative group in 1909. These men were enthusiastic about establishing a neurological institute to train students to care for neurological diseases. Their mission was to provide a model for other such institutes throughout the world. Their institution was incorporated as The Neurological Institute of New York in April 1909.
1909 – 1937
1937 – 1939
J. Lawrence Pool
1949 – 1972
Lester A. Mount
1972 – 1973
Edward B. Schelesinger
1973 – 1981
Bennett M. Stein
1981 – 1993, 1994 – 1996
—— 1920 ——
In 1920, a building on 149 East 67th Street in New York City was immediately leased and eventually purchased; it was six floors high and had 57 patient beds. Four weeks later, the first operation at the new Institute was performed by Elsberg. The operation was the removal of a spinal cord tumor with subsequent cure. It took several years for the Institute to acquire radiology and pathology facilities, but the number of admissions and operations grew steadily.
The first medical students came from Cornell University, soon followed by students from Columbia University in 1921. In 1925, the Neurological Institute and Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center decided to join forces. The site of the new Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, with the associated Neurological Institute, was between Broadway and Riverside Drive, from 165th to 168th Street, the location of a former ballpark for the New York Yankees.
—— 1909 ——
There are more graduates of Columbia’s College of Physicians and Surgeons in neurosurgical residencies throughout the country than from any other medical school. More than 140 neurosurgeons have completed their residency training at the Neurological Institute and have gone on to become leaders in American neurosurgery.
The distinguished alumni have been active in academia and private practices. Many have become department chairmen and presidents of various national neurosurgical societies. The Neurological Institute of New York looks back on a proud and distinguished tradition and forward to a bright future.
neurosurgeons have completed residency training at the Neurological Institute.
have gone on to become well-respected and established department chairmen.
have become presidents of various national neurosurgical societies.
Past and Current Directors
—— 2016 ——
As a department in one of the nation’s top hospitals, and part of the 100-year-old Neurological Institute of New York, we offer unparalleled expertise in a broad range of neurological conditions, access to cutting-edge research and a patient-centered treatment philosophy. Our mission is to provide patients with outstanding care by the best neurosurgeons in the country and achieve excellent outcomes.