About Dr. Geoff Appelboom
Dr Appelboom specializes in complex spine surgeries (including revisions surgeries and 2nd opinions) and often works closely with orthopedic surgeons in their difficult cases.
Meet Dr. Appelboom
As part of Stanford Biodesign Network, Dr. Appelboom utilized the most advanced surgical robots in neurosurgery to make the operating room smarter with artificial intelligence.
His operating room innovation project received the 2018 Stanford-Coulter Translational Award for innovations in bioengineering and is researching the ways to improve patient care.
Dr. Appelboom trained at Stanford University in Palo Alto California and specializes in modern brain and spine surgery methods using state-of-the-art technology. After completing his brain and spine surgery training, Dr Appelboom began his neurosurgical practice as clinical instructor of complex spine surgery at Stanford University Hospital before being recruited back to New York.
Dr Appelboom has spent the past couple of years providing New Jersey (Passaic County) with high level, conservative spine surgery, including cervical and lumbar discectomy, laminectomy and fusions.
He has published over 90 research papers, authored four book chapters, and has served on editorial boards for five medical journals. He is an active member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), the North American Spine Society (NASS), and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS).
Dr. Appelboom is also fluent in French, Dutch and Spanish. He is in-network with most commercial insurances and is currently accepting new patients.
In addition to working out of our Paterson office, Dr. Appelboom has the ability to treat and admit patients at the following area hospitals.
- St. Joseph’s Health (Wayne and Paterson Locations)
See what Dr. Appelboom has accomplished over the years.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons Society (2013-Present)
- Stanford Biodesign Innovation Award (Coulter Award) (2018)
- For Excellence in Research (WBI) Award (2016)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (2015)
- European Spine Society (2015)
- The American Heart Association (2010)
- Belgian American Exchange Foundation (BAEF) Research Award (2010)
- Belgian American Exchange Foundation (BAEF) Hoover Fellowship (2010)
See the research Dr. Geoff Appelboom has had published.
- Neuro-Oncology, July 2016
- World Neurosurgery, January 2016
- Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, December 2015
- Journal of Neurosurgery, December 2015
- Neurosurgery, November 2015
- Journal of Neurosurgery, November 2015
- Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, September 2015
- World Neurosurgery, September 2015
- Neurosurgery, August 2015
- JMIR Mhealth Uhealth, July 2015
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna Meritain & Assure
- Aetna Signature (1199 & GEHA)
- Aetna Whole Health
- Cigna Mohawk Valley (PPO only thru Valley Cigna)
- Clover Medicare – Case by Case exception
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (Blue Card/Suitcase/PPO)
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ (commercial)
- Horizon Braven Health (PPO, HMO-POS)
- Braven Medicare Choice PPO
- Braven Medicare Freedom PPO
- Braven Medicare Group HMO-POS
- Braven Medicare Access group HMO-POS
- Horizon NJ Health
- Medicare (Part A and Part B)
- No Fault- NJ only
- Omnia (tier 1)
- Oxford Garden State Health Plan
- Oxford Health Plan
- UHC under Empire/NYSHIP plan
- United HealthCare (commercial, including All Savers) UMR
- Worker’s Comp- NJ Only