About Dr. Christopher Gillis
Dr. Gillis’ clinical and research interests include developing and advancing new techniques for minimally invasive spine surgeries, deformity corrections, spine robotics and advance spine navigation.
Meet Dr. Gillis
He is interested in the treatment of spine disorders because he finds helping patients become pain-free or taking them from a disabled condition to enjoying their life again is as rewarding as surgery can be.
Dr. Gillis performs minimally invasive, motion-sparing spine treatments, specializing in spine deformity, and enjoys teaching these techniques to fellow surgeons.
Dr. Gillis is a neurosurgeon with a focus on complex spine disorders. He graduated with distinction in 2004 from Dalhousie University with a BSc. Biology, and went onto get his medical degree from the Schulich School of Medicine at the University of Western Ontario in London, ON in 2008. He then completed a neurosurgery residency at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, B.C. and subsequently trained in minimally invasive and complex spine surgery during a clinical fellowship at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
Dr. Gillis was the Spine Program’s Medical Director and an Assistant Professor in the Division of Neurosurgery at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
He is a fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and member of Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) and the spine and peripheral nerve subsection of AAND/CNS.
In addition to working out of our Long Branch and Toms River offices, Dr. Gillis has the ability to treat and admit patients at the following area hospitals.
- Monmouth Medical Center
- Riverview Medical Center
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna Meritain & Assure
- Aetna Signature (1199 & GEHA)
- Aetna Whole Health
- Clover Medicare – Case by Case exception
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (Blue Card/Suitcase/PPO)
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ (commercial)
- Horizon Braven Health (PPO, HMO-POS)
- Braven Medicare Choice PPO
- Braven Medicare Freedom PPO
- Braven Medicare Group HMO-POS
- Braven Medicare Access group HMO-POS
- Medicare (Part A and Part B)
- No Fault (New Jersey Motor Vehicle Accidents Only)
- Omnia (tier 1)
- Oxford Garden State Health Plan
- Oxford Health Plan
- UHC under Empire/NYSHIP plan
- United HealthCare (commercial, including All Savers) UMR
- Worker’s Comp- NJ Only