About Dr. Jonathan Yun
Dr. Yun focuses on neurosurgical disorders of the brain and spine, specifically degenerative conditions of the spine, brain tumors and metastases. He specializes in open and minimally invasive approaches to spine pathologies, ranging from minimally invasive decompressive procedures to instrumented spinal fusions and deformity correction. He also specializes in stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery of the brain and associated structures.
Meet Dr. Yun
Dr. Yun is drawn to neurosurgery, as every patient and disease presents with opportunities to make a significant impact on one’s life. Although being diagnosed with a neurological conditions can be challenging, Dr. Yun is fulfilled by this one-on-one relationship between the patient and the caretaker and the opportunity to carefully explain every option available. He is continuously driven by advances in neurosurgery that allow him to treat diseases with less surgery or none at all. Dr. Yun appreciates that these instances provide him with the opportunity to select the best possible treatments for each patient.
Lastly, he is happy to have returned to his native New Jersey to bring the highest level of University care to his community.
Dr. Jonathan Yun was raised in Ridgewood, NJ. He became interested in neurosurgery as a young medical student, recognizing the potential of surgical and nonsurgical treatment, technology and research in compassionate care and impacting patient’s lives.
Dr. Yun received his undergraduate degree in Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience from The Johns Hopkins University. Upon graduation, he was inducted into Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Medical Honor Society and Nu Rho Psi Undergraduate Honor Society for Neuroscience and was awarded general and departmental honors. Dr. Yun completed his Doctorate of Medicine at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, where he graduated with honors and was elected into the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha and Gold Humanism Honor Societies.
His career in neurosurgery began his work with The Neurological Institute of New York at Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Hospital as a Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellow and an Alpha Omega Alpha Research Fellow. In these roles, Dr. Yun worked on translational therapies for drug delivery, the treatment of malignant and benign brain tumors, and worked to advance clinical trials. He completed his residency at The Neurological Institute of New York at Columbia University Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian Hospital, serving as the only chief resident to graduate alone in the history of the program.
Since, he has authored over 20 neurosurgical publications and has given 13 presentations at neurosurgical conferences.
In addition to working out of our Ridgewood and Glen Ridge offices, Dr. Yun has the ability to treat and admit patients at the following area hospitals.
- The Valley Hospital
- St. Joseph’s Health
- Hackensack Meridian Health – Mountainside Medical Center
See the research Dr. Jonathan Yun has had published.
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna Meritain & Assure
- Aetna Signature (1199 & GEHA)
- Aetna Whole Health
- Clover Medicare – Case by Case exception
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (Blue Card/Suitcase/PPO)
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ (commercial)
- Horizon Braven Health (PPO, HMO-POS)
- Braven Medicare Choice PPO
- Braven Medicare Freedom PPO
- Braven Medicare Group HMO-POS
- Braven Medicare Access group HMO-POS
- Medicare (Part A and Part B)
- No Fault (New Jersey Motor Vehicle Accidents Only)
- Omnia (tier 1)
- Oxford Garden State Health Plan
- Oxford Health Plan
- UHC under Empire/NYSHIP plan
- United HealthCare (commercial, including All Savers) UMR
- Worker’s Comp- NJ Only
Honors, Awards & Recognition
See what Dr. Yun has accomplished over the years.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship (2010)
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Research Fellowship (2009)
- Arnold P. Gold Humanism Honor Society (2009)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Junior Inductee (2009)
- Howard Hughes Summer Research Fellowship for Undergraduates (2005)
- Nu Rho Psi Undergraduate Honor Society for Neuroscience (2005)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Medical Honor Society (2005)
- Ryu Family Foundation – Seol Bong Scholarship (2004)