About Dr. Alfred Ogden
Dr. Ogden is an internationally recognized leader in minimally invasive spine surgery as well as an expert in the treatment of spinal tumors.
Dr. Ogden has received awards for his research from various institutions and societies including Columbia Medical School, The New York Neurosurgical Society, The American Academy of Neurological Surgeons, and the American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons. He has authored over twenty-five peer-reviewed journals and thirteen book chapters. In addition to his work as a practicing neurological surgeon at Neurosurgeons of New Jersey, Dr. Ogden is affiliated with The Valley Hospital and St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center.
Dr. Ogden treats a wide variety of spinal problems with a particular clinical and research interest in minimally invasive surgery for spondylolisthesis and spinal tumors.
He received a BS in Biology from Yale University in 1993. After working as a research scientist at New York University in Developmental Genetics, he went on to medical school at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, along with being awarded Alpha Omega Alpha Honors. He was a member of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. He received a MD in 2000. Dr Ogden stayed at Columbia University Medical Center for his neurosurgery residency, then completed a fellowship in minimally invasive spine surgery at the University of Chicago and Northwestern. After fellowship, he returned to Columbia University Medical Center where he was an Assistant Professor in Neurological Surgery and the Director of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery for 11 years. He has recently left Columbia and is currently the Director of Minimally Invasive Spine surgery at Valley Hospital and Chief Medical Officer for Neurosurgeons of New Jersey.
His scholarly work on minimally invasive spine surgery and spinal tumors has appeared in numerous peer-reviewed journals and book chapters. He is a member of The Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. He has taught numerous courses on minimally invasive spine surgery to fellow neurosurgeons at national meetings and has been an invited speaker on this topic at numerous national and international meetings. He is a regular reviewer for Neurosurgery, Operative Neurosurgery, and the Journal of Neuro-Oncology. He has been recognized for his surgical results and expertise by numerous independent quality evaluators including Castle Connolly Top Doctors, Press-Ganey, Vitals.com Patient’s Choice, Best Doctors, and 201 Magazine’s Best of Bergen.
In addition to working out of our Ridgewood and New York offices, Dr. Ogden has the ability to treat and admit patients at the following area hospitals.
See what Dr. Ogden has accomplished over the years.
- American Academy of Neurological Surgeons’ Annual Award for Research (2006)
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeon’s
- Cloward Award (2007)
- Press Ganey Top 5% Patient Satisfaction (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Bergen Top Doctors (2015, 2016)
- Director of Minimally invasive Spine Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center
- Director of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, The Valley Hospital
- Invited Faculty for Minimally Invasive Spine Courses at AANS National Meeting (2009, 2010)
- CNS National Meeting (2012, 2013, 2014)
- New York Minimally Invasive Spine Course (2014)
- International Society for Minimal Intervention in Spine Surgery (2017)
See the research Dr. Alfred T. Ogden has had published.
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna Meritain & Assure
- Aetna Signature (1199 & GEHA)
- Aetna Whole Health
- Cigna Mohawk Valley (PPO only thru Valley Cigna)
- Clover Medicare – Case by Case exception
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (Blue Card/Suitcase/PPO)
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ (commercial)
- Horizon Braven Health (PPO, HMO-POS)
- Braven Medicare Choice PPO
- Braven Medicare Freedom PPO
- Braven Medicare Group HMO-POS
- Braven Medicare Access group HMO-POS
- Medicare (Part A and Part B)
- No Fault- NJ only
- Omnia (tier 1)
- Oxford Garden State Health Plan
- Oxford Health Plan
- UHC under Empire/NYSHIP plan
- United HealthCare (commercial, including All Savers) UMR
- Worker’s Comp- NJ Only